Skip to main content

So you’ve submitted your application and taken your first step to starting a new career with the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department – congratulations!

The application process can take eight to 16 weeks, but there is something you can do to help shorten your timeline. Gathering the documents required for your background investigation can take some time – particularly if you have to request copies or certified originals – so we recommend you start as soon as you submit your initial application.

We’ve broken down the 12 documents you’ll need to complete your CMPD Background Packet and included tips on how to get them below. There’s no reason to wait. Start pulling what you need now so you can move quickly through the application process when you get to step 3.

Color photo

You’ll need to submit a 2-inch by 2-inch color photo that includes your head and shoulders. For a small fee, you can have this photo taken and printed in minutes anywhere passport photos are done, such as select branches of the post office or many drugstores.

High school transcript

Secure one certified, original copy of your high school transcript. To request your transcript, contact your high school, school district or your state’s department of education.

High school diploma or GED certificate

Gather one photocopy of your high school diploma or GED certificate with individual test scores. If you no longer have your diploma, contact your former school or school district to request a copy. To request a copy of your GED diploma / certificate, visit the GED Testing Service website.

College transcript

Request one certified, original copy of your college transcript from your college or university’s registrar’s office. You may be able to do this via an online form, or your school might require you to call or request in-person.

College diploma

Make a photocopy of your college diploma. Don’t have it? Many schools’ registrars offer online applications to order replacements. If you don’t see an option on your school’s website, contact the registrar for directions on how to submit a request.

Driving record

You’ll need a certified, original copy of your driving record from every state you’ve been licensed in (including the one in which you’re licensed now). Contact the department of motor vehicles or other licensing body for details on how to request your record in each state.

Marriage certificate

If you’re currently married, please provide a photocopy of your marriage license. Need to get a copy? Contact the Register of Deeds or Vital Records office in the county where your marriage took place.

Divorce decree

If you’re divorced, please provide a photocopy of your divorce decree. To get a copy, contact the Register of Deeds or Vital Records office in the county where your divorce took place.

Selective Service registration card

If you’re a male applicant between 18 and 25 years old, please provide a photocopy of your Selective Service Registration Card regardless of military service. If you’ve lost your card or haven’t registered, visit the Selective Service System website or call (847) 688-6888.

Military Discharge Form DD-214

Please provide one photocopy of your Military Discharge Form DD-214 showing your type of discharge. For more information on how to request a copy, visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website.

Naturalization certificate

If you are a naturalized U.S. citizen, please provide a photocopy of your naturalization papers. If you need a copy of your certificate, you can learn more about filing online or by paper via the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website.

Criminal record check

A criminal record check is required of all applicants regardless of your criminal history. You’ll need to provide a criminal record check from each county you’ve lived in since the age of 16. Note these checks must come from county courts and not police or sheriff departments. An alternative to individual county checks is a state Right to Review record check.

Accelerate your career here

Visit our hiring page or FAQs to learn more about finding your purpose with CMPD.

Ready to join our team? Start your new trainee, lateral entry or intermediate entry application today.